Join the HOTC for a January camp-out.
Where: Fort Richardson State Park, Jacksboro, Texas
When: January 15-18
Enjoy a Ranger-guided walking tour of the historic site at 10am on Saturday, fishing in Quarry Lake and traditional HOTC happy hours and community meals.
Established in November 1867, Fort Richardson was named in honor of General Israel B. Richardson, who died in the Battle of Antietam during the Civil War. The fort was the northernmost of a line of federal forts established after the Civil War. Soldiers arrived in Jacksboro in 1866 with orders to establish a fort at Buffalo Springs, 20 miles north of Jacksboro. Due to unhealthy conditions at Buffalo Springs and the constant Indian raids, the fort was abandoned. The soldiers returned to Jacksboro and eventually received orders to establish a fort on the south bank of Lost Creek. Expeditions sent from Fort Richardson arrested Indians responsible for the Warren Wagon Train Massacre in 1871 and fought Comanches in Palo Duro Canyon. The fort was abandoned in May 1878.
The property was owned and managed by the city of Jacksboro until 1968, when the state of Texas acquired it and opened it to the public as a state park.